Research Associate/Specialist - ICTS Clinical Research Unit
The University of Iowa Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (ICTS) Clinical Research Unit is seeking a research associate or research specialist to conduct experimental laboratory research work in the discipline of pulmonary physiology including basic to advanced pulmonary diagnostic testing, pulmonary function testing, and assisting with bronchoscopic procedures. This position will provide these functions to researchers in the Clinical Research Unit.
Duties to include but not limited to:
• Coordinate studies by performing research-related activities specific to the research protocol.
• Provide consultation with principal investigators and research coordinators to determine equipment, testing, and testing technique needs for protocols requiring pulmonary function or physiology testing.
• Perform pulmonary physiology and function testing and select or recommend appropriate equipment for specific tests.
• Assist with bronchoscopies. Collect washing, brushing, and biopsy specimens and complete the initial processing of specimens. Maintain bronchoscopes and the bronchoscopy procedure room. Prepare and assist in the recovery of subjects undergoing bronchoscopy.
• Input data to research source documents and clinical research forms, including computerized or web-based media.
• Analyze pulmonary physiology and function testing data and methods for accuracy.
• Create cost analysis and estimates of student procedures.
• Work with the CRU Assistant Nurse Manager to identify Quality Control/Quality Improvement Plans.
• Calibrate and maintain pulmonary physiology/function and bronchoscopy equipment.
• Perform quality control, troubleshooting, and maintenance on equipment.
• Functional and administrative supervision may be exercised over support staff.
ICTS Description: The Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (ICTS) at the University of Iowa was approved by the Iowa Board of Regents in 2007 to support the work of investigators involved in clinical and translational science. Our mission is to accelerate translational science through programs to develop the translational workforce, to promote engagement of community members and other stakeholders, to promote research integration across the lifespan, and to catalyze innovative clinical and translational research. These efforts will lead to the development of novel therapies and healthcare delivery strategies, the integration of translational research and clinical practice, and, ultimately to measurable improvements in the health of Iowa and the nation.
Percent of Time: 100%
Pay Grade: 4A Research Associate /5A Research Specialist
Pay Structure A: https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/professional-and-scientific-pay-stru…
• Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
• Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
• For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
A Bechelor's degree (Research Associate) or a Masters’s degree (Research Specialist) in the health sciences and experience (typically 3-5 years) in clinical research or an equivalent combination of education and related experience may also serve to meet these minimum requirements.
• Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) certification
• Working knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Ability to work nights and weekends
• Registered Pulmonary Therapist Technologist (RPFT) certificate
• Experience operating Environmental Exposure Chamber technologies
• Knowledge of airway techniques
• In-depth knowledge of pulmonary function testing and bronchoscopic equipment, tools and procedures
• Asthma educator certification
• Experience providing asthma education
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position at https://jobs.uiowa.edu/ using job requisition #21004267 or 21004272.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on September 15, 2021.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
This Professional and Scientific position will be filled as either a Research Associate (PRK2) or Research Specialist (PRK3) based on candidate qualifications and interview evaluation. To express interest for consideration at both levels, please apply to both requisitions 21004267 and 21004272.
Please note regarding references: Five professional references will be requested and required at a later step in the recruitment process.
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.